Sunday 5 May 2013

Marathon No.36 - Richmond Park Marathon


Kate, Melanie, Emily, Me and Joe (Marshall)

 I met Kate, Emily and Melanie who'd ran the Bewd Marathon the day before (they had registered for a Triple - 3 marathon in 3 days). Joe was also there, he'd opted to do Marshalling duties.  I also met Ruth, she was also doing a Double - 2 marathons in 2 days like myself. Nice to see everyone in Richmond, close to my own home town for once.
At the START Line...

The 9.30am prompt start took us on a three lap route held around the boundaries of Richmond Park. Starting and finishing at Sheen Gate.  The first lap was approx 12.2 Miles, the second and third laps were full Tamsin Trail Laps of 7 Miles each and in total the Marathon distance was around 26.2/42.1kms and the overall race cut off time was 6.5 Hours (4.30pm).

There was a warm up before the count down at the start of the race and for some odd reason they chose a man dressed as a Gorilla riding a bike as the person to start the race. I'm sure there is some wisdom behind this, some people may feel inspired to run faster. I guess its a good way to remind people not to take the race to seriously and just enjoy the run. We runners can be a serious bunch with our Gorilla friends.

There was also a special drinks table at Sheen Gate Aid Station (Passing 3,12,17 Miles) where runners could leave their own drinks (marked or flagged for easy identification), great idea. If I had known about this I would have prepared a nice big picnic basket for myself with tea and cupcakes.. a girl needs her treats!

On running the final few miles I met Trio runners Dave (100 Marathon Club), Micheal and Jessica. Jessica was running her very first marathon and the guys were accompanying her keeping her motivated. She was struggling a little in the heat and we'd all decided we'd part at Mile 23 and had told each other we'd meet at the FINISH line for a group photo for my blogging!!!! So here it is Jessica, and yes I'm so proud of you. Your NO 'Marathon Virgin' anymore!

Yummy CAKES!

The course was rather hilly in parts, I had to walk up the hills as my legs weren't responding, they were wobbling and loosing their footing and I was finding it hard to drag myself up the hill. I knew that this was a Marathon I needed to ease myself into because I had my Milton Keynes Marathon the following day and I couldn't afford to  take any risks in injuring myself.

The weather was particularly warm on race day, temperatures rose to at least 20C above.  I was drinking water like there was no tomorrow, I had to keep on refilling at the pit stops as i couldn't get myself hydrated, it was such a hot day and I could feel  the sun burning my skin around my bare legs. I've got some nice tanned sexy legs now... whoppee!  

The usual grub was on offer: bananas, jelly babies and cups of water at each of the aid stations at 3 Mile intervals  (Sheen Gate, Broonfield Hill and Ham Gate), at the final aid station there was some energy drinks on offer, I couldn't express how thankful I felt at seeing these drinks. I need a boost and they were the extra incentive I needed to keep going!


It was my first Richmond marathon, and my 2nd double marathon. The day was fabulous and i managed to finish in 5 Hours,  18 Minutes and 35 Seconds which wasn't what I'd expected as it was fairly hilly. Hilly runs usually take me much much longer than 5Hours and 30Minutes, I've got to work on my stamina more.
Kate, Melanie & I...
Commeletia & I...
Tyre-Lady and I....

 Special 'Thank You' to my parkrun buddy 'Tyre-Lady' whom also struggled round the course much longer than us. She had kindly helped us in contacting Uncle on getting my Hubby's car moving again after the engine heated up halfway heading back home. We managed to make it back home for a quick shower and huge pizza before heading to Milton Keynes for the next run.
Garath (Race Director), Melanie, Kathryn & I..... Having a piece of 100 Marathon Carrot Cake. Mmmmmmmmmm
When I reached the finish I was invited to taste a piece of Kathryn Hall's carrot cake, they were absolutely yummy and much needed after the long run.  Kathryn was running her '100th Marathon' at Richmond and had bought some cakes in to share which her sister had made. Thanks ever so much for the recipe Kathryn. I have it written down and will attempt making it when I have some free time and I promise to turn them in to cup-cakes one day :-

CARROT CAKE RECIPE
pre time: 20min cooking time: 30-40min serves: 12

ingredients:
250ml sunflower oil
225g light muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
225g self raising flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp each ground mxed spice,nutmeg,cinnamon
250g carrots grated

for the frosting:
50g butter
225g full fat cream cheese (philadelphia)
25g icing sugar
1/2tsp vanilla extract

for decoration:
8 pecan halves roughly chopped

1. preheat oven 180' grease and baseline 2x18cm sandwich tins
2. whisk sunflower oil & muscovado sugar together, then eggs one at a time.
3.sift the flour,salt & spices together and fold into the egg mixture, then add grated carrot.
4.divide mixture into 2 tins & bake 30-40min until golden, leave in tins for 10 min then turn out to cool.
5 make frosting by beating together butter & cream cheese until flight & fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar, add vanilla extract & mix well.
6.remove lining paper from cakes when cold and spread frosting on the tops of both cakes, sandwich together and sprinkle pecans on top.


At the FINISH with Dave (100 Marathon Club), Jessica (Running her FIRST Marathon and Michael.
Inside the Goody Bag....

The  goody bag was very generous. A Richmond Park Marathon MEDAL and 2013 Tee-Shirt, Special RPM 2013 Mug, Pot of Healthy Porridge, Full Sized Mars Bar, Running Magazines and Vouchers. What a treat!
The race was very well organised and the spectators at the end were amazing for a small low key event like Richmond. The only disappointment I had was almost taking the wrong direction after the first lap. Instead of going on to the second lap I took the turn to the finish and was directed by a marshall to take the correct turn. Also as i approached  the last mile towards the end I started to hallucinate a little due to the heat exhaustion and was a little lost as i had not seen any familiar sign posts around, I decided to hang around a little for Bridget who was doing a 1 minute walk and 3 minute run strategy. She was running her 106th'ish marathon and was taking it easy. If it wasn't for her i think I'd still be hanging around looking for the end.
FINISH Medal - Time :- 5 Hours, 18 Minutes & 35 Seconds



No comments: