Thursday 28 February 2013

Marathon No.32 - Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon


On Sunday, 24th February 2013 I ran my 32nd Marathon in Hong Kong.
This was my first marathon in Asia and I had decided I will run my first asian marathon in my 'Marathon MANIAC' vest.......
 I felt like a pro in it with runners trying to take a glimpse at me as they ran past.

「從心出發,跑出信念」「Run For A Reason」

 

With my 'RUNNER's PACK COLLECTION LETTER'

Having arrived in to Hong Kong on the Friday afternoon, collected my Running BiB at the Expo at Victoria Park in Causeway Bay the following Saturday morning and having to be up and early on the Sunday for the 2nd wave of the Marathon start at 7.10am.... I was suffering from Jet-Lag big time and soon found out this was not ideal at all. The body was not able to cope with two time zones.
Collecting my BiB at the EXPO -  Central Lawn, Victoria Park, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong






MYLAPS BiBTag - The official timing system
Marathon RUN 1 - Running BiB No. M0360

The START of the Marathon took place on Nathan Road (between Haiphong Road and Middle Road), Tsim Sha Shui then running over the Stonecutters Bridge, Tsing Yi, Tsing Ma Bridge, Ting Kau Bridge, Cheung Tsing Tunnel, Western Harbour Tunnel then on to Sheung Wan, Central and finally finishing the race at Victoria Park, Hong Kong.

Pure Distilled Watsons Water Station (At the start)



Overall the race was very well organised and marshalled. There was regular water stops at approximately every 5km, Sports Drinks, Chocolates and Bananas were also available at the final miles.
Empty Cups
Time Out Chocolates

I almost wanted to give up between 8-9km when I slipped and grazed both my hands and knees (including my lower chin). Falling flat on my face, I kept telling myself 'I can't give up now'. There was blood all over my hands and even my arms as i tried to wipe it away. I managed to get some help at the next aid stop and was given some anti bacterial lotion to put over the wounds. I didn't feel too hurt or struggle too much after my little accident which took place at the Tsing Yi Bridge.... In fact I managed to finish the Standard Chartered HK Marathon in an incredible time of 5 Hours, 3 Minutes & 41 Seconds on injury. Tiredness almost beat me though! My strategy was to keep telling myself that the signals of running out of energy were figments of my imagination and I am capable of finishing the race. I kept my pacing and the strategy worked well.

Right Hand
Left Hand


Hong Kong's Western Harbour Tunnel has always been one of the biggest obstacles for running. Running inside a tunnel for three kilometres is not nice. The course was very hilly in some parts, especially the section as we came out of the Western Harbour Tunnel. I saw lots of people walking at this point.
The Hong Kong Marathon had a record of around 65,000 runners taking part this year.

34,508 - 10km
18,102 - Half Marathon
12,433 - Marathon

The whole event was a rallying point for charity too. This is a marathon with a heart, simply because it raises money for so many good causes. I managed to raise £400 for 'The Hong Kong Paralympic Committee & Sports Association for the physically disabled', as they do a great job.
Among the most celebrated participants was 101 year old Indian Fauja Singh from London. It was his last time running in Hong Kong in the 10km event. He managed to raise over HK$160,000 in total.
Spectators watching at Olympia Station

The weather on race day was overcast. I found it slightly humid first thing in the morning, but as the day went by it seemed to have got better. It was not too hot/cold/windy.... Just a perfect day for a run!
 Just about to enter 'Cheung Tsing Tunnel'

I found it very hard to run in Hong Kong because the air is not so good. It is much better and easier in Europe, but I love Hong Kong all the same. This was one of the hardest races of all and it gives me more satisfaction to know that I managed to keep on going.
 
Goody Bag - Bottled Water, Sports Drink, Chinese Pear, Banana, 250ml Shakubutsu Body Foam & 2 Pk x 20g Lion Top Nano Liquid Detergent for all FULL Marathon Finishers
At the FINISH Line with my FINISHER MEDAL
Official FINISH Time : - 5 Hours, 3 Minutes & 41 Seconds



No comments: