Sunday 10 March 2013

Marathon No.33 - Bolton Hill Marathon

Official Bolton Hill Marathon 2013 MEDAL - My TIME :- 6 Hours, 49 Minutes & 13 Seconds

I ran my 33rd Marathon at the FIRST 'Bolton Hill Marathon' on Sunday, 10th March 2013.... It sure was one of the most tougest Marathons I've done to date. The route was approximately 30% country road and 70% trail. Fully marked and signed posted.

The race started at 9.30am and the runners had a time limit of 8 Hours to complete the course.

I originally had a long sleeve top on with a short sleeve over until I was told by all around me how cold it was going to be up the highest hill. I then decided to put another long sleeve top  on just to be on the safe side. I also had a very thin wind-proof jacket with me but knew it would not keep me warm at all, so decided to exchange this jacket to my big black coat (It didn't sound a good idea at first as I'd never ran a Marathon with a coat on before and I knew how sweaty it would get after the first couple of miles)....But believe me that was the best thing I did before the race.

First Marathon RUN in Sub-ZERO conditions

The temperature was freezing cold. It was around minus 2 first thing in the morning. I've never experienced such severe artic winds on my runs and to be hit in my face so hard at the highest peak point, believe me was not good! My hands were constantly frozen and numb even with my gloves on, I even had a bit of difficulty trying to breath when I was trying to climb myself up to the highest gate. The high wind chills reminded me of scenes from a movie, and at some point I could imagine myself trekking up 'Mount Everest'...

The hilltops were covered in snow all around and there were occasions we saw Sheeps and Cows on the course.

Everytime I tried to run forward the wind would just blow me few more steps back, it was BRUTAL. I had to keep both my hands on my hat so that the wind did not blow it away. I couldn't put the hood on my coat on as everytime I tried to put it on it fell back off again, it was too big!

I was still suffering from a cold which I'd had for over a week. Coughing and a runny nose did not help at all, I kept lots of tissues in the right of my coat pocket and everytime I finished with them they were placed in my left pocket as we were not allowed to litter on the course. 

Running BiB No. 65
The runners were standing around at the start in the freezing temperature waiting for the countdown to START! Me and Rebecca decided to have a HOT CHOCOLATE before we started our expedition.
Photos taken from the Bolton Hill Marathon Website
At the START Line (Moss Bank Park, Bolton) .............. 9am - Sunday, 10th March 2013

Some of the SNOWY TRAIL Course we had to RUN along.......... There was a BIG Climb at the start and around 22 Miles!
The Bolton Hill Marathon route follows some of the most beautiful scenic trails and country roads on the West Pennine Moors taking us up and over Winter Hill, past Rivington Pike and Barn, through Barrow Bridge village and down the famous miners 63 steps, past White Coppice and along the famous Anglezarke Reservoir on our stunning 26.2 mile journey.

A very breathtaking trek indeed. An experience I will never forget. I would say in total we were about 150 in number and everyone was really friendly and jovial. Met a few familiar faces. The running circuit gets smaller every year - I think I'm probably quite noticeable now that I've started on this drive to complete 40 marathons before 40.

Rewarding Views along the Trail Marathon
The hills were hard, but the views did not suck!

I remember getting to the 13 Mile mark at around 3 Hours and 30 Minutes, so I was pleased at the pace I was going at and was aiming to finish within 6-7 Hours. I was determined  on the day that I should complete the 26.2 Miles within the 8 Hour time limit, even with my cuts and bruises.

The fuel for the run:  flapjacks, jelly-babies, energy gels and water was available at each of the checkpoints. I found the water a little bit too cold for me so I just had a few gulps before departing each checkpoint, it was very refreshing and so were the much needed treats. I always run a little faster when I see treats up a head.

Karen Webber - Official Marshall
Millie Brewer - Offical Marshall
Route Elevation - (2997 feet ascent)
Inside the Goody Bag.......... FINISHER Certificate!

FINISHERS - Bill Kelly (An amazing Bloke I met along the way), Kate Jayden & Me
Me and my Finish MEDAL
I had to take it easy around the hills as I'd injured myself running the last marathon in Hong Kong around two weeks ago and I was afraid I might do some further damage. I've been finding it hard taking showers and wearing tights because of the scabs from my cuts and now that they are healing I don't want to have to go through it all again, by opening up old wounds!

Overall it was a very challenging with glorious scenery , imagine rolling hills and rugged landscape - breathtakingly beautiful run, well worth the pain!  The organisation from the directors, the Bolton Mountain Rescue Team and Marshalling Crew was outstanding - A very well done job indeed!  This is one I would do again in better weather climate and of course plenty of hill trainings!

No comments: