Sunday 28 April 2013

Marathon No.35 - Greater Manchester Marathon

Today I ran my 35th Marathon, my first ever Greater Manchester Marathon completed  in the time of 5 Hours, 14 Minutes and 36 Seconds.

There was a total of approximately 7000 Runners. The race was to start at 9am and it was delayed slightly for a 26 seconds applause for all those who had run or been at the Boston Marathon.

The race started and finished at Manchester United's Old Trafford ground and many of the participants were running for local charities.

Before the Marathon 
My source of ENERGY
Jo, Ruth, Me, Commeletia, Running Man and a few other running friends..........
Before the start of the race I had met up with a few runners Jo, Richard, Ruth. We were all fairly excited as the weather was very cool and pleasant for the run. I opted to put a rain jacket on just in case the weather turned unexpectedly, but thinking back I think it was wise to have taken it with me as it was fairly windy on parts of the course.

The course was very flat and definitely one of those courses that can give you a PB time.  It all started off pretty well, I was going at a very steady pace because I hadn't done much training since SDW50 so was reluctant to push things too much this time around.  In fact I had already decided that this was going to be one of those easy paced runs because I am hoping to attempt a Double Marathon next weekend in Richmond and Milton Keynes and did not want to risk injuries before then. 

 

** Special 'THANK YOU' to Nozza Wales for the Photos **

I wore my new trainers which I had not done much training in, and this was a major mistake!  Into about the 5th mile of the run I I began to realise that my trainers were going to be painful and sure enough the soul of my left foot started feeling a little uncomfortable. I realised eventually it was a big blister just under my toes, but kept on going........... The blister eventually popped at Mile 20 (I felt the horrid pain)!
 
As soon as I hit Mile 13 (the half way mark), I met (Barefoot Runner) Justin Horrocks, we ran/jogged/walked together until Mile 18, where I decided I'd part with him as he'd mentioned to me that he'd take a much longer time than expected to complete the course as he was struggling big time with blisters on his naked feet. The volunteers and supporters on the course were very surprised and amazed to see a young fella running without any shoes on. Justin, if your reading this blog now - I think you are absolutely incredible running 26.2 Miles on the cobbled streets of Manchester! I still don't know how you do it, I could barely cope with my trainers on!
I saw a few familiar faces on the course, namely Jim Murry (a sub 3 Hour runner), Moinuddin (who ran London last weekend), and Mick Hall (Taking marathon-photos at the last few yards of the finish line).....

There were plenty of water on the course, including Carton ISOTONIC drinks, Clif Shot Gels, SHOT Bloks which are energy CHEWS - I had loads of them to keep me going, so easy to chew and swallow. I had to keep on sipping water to keep hydrated as it was a rather dry day. The wine the night before did not help and neither was the lack of sleep I got at the Manchester City Centre Hotel I was staying at!

The spectators and crowds at Old Trafford/Exchange Quay (Race Village/Start), Stretford (Mile 5.5),  Sale (Mile 7.5), Brooklands (Mile 9 & 16.5), Altrincham (Mile 12-13) were absolutely amazing. There were kids hi-fiving and giving out jelly babies to the runners running past! It had such a jovial feel to it, and I was high on jelly babies!

When I reached Mile 20, I was a bit surprise to see so many walkers. With my encouragement I shouted 'Come on guys, only 6 more miles to go now'.  I kept on running and struggled big time on the last final half mile, I could have done with someone shouting out encouragement to me on this stretch of the course. I could see the finish from a long way. My legs just did not  want co-operate with me, but with a big push and a few shouts from the crowds I made it to the FINISH!.  There were a few rain-drops as I approached the finish line but they weren't too heavy and they helped cool me down a little. 


I am ever so proud to have ran my 35th in Manchester, what a great city and great people!



Overall the support and organisation was very well done. Special 'THANK YOU' to the organisers in putting on such a fantastic event. See you all there again next year!


Craig Coates (Marshall), Commeletia, Running Man, Jo and Myself with our MEDALS outside Manchester United FC
Some great stuff inside the goody bag including a T-Shirt.
The Medal is BIG (The size of a Coaster).

No comments: